Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An Important Day in History - 9/11/2001 - And What About Today? 9/11/2013

Where were you when the towers came crashing down?

Dillard and I were enjoying our vacation on Grand Cayman Island; especially the soothing, warm  and beautiful waters of the Caribbean Ocean.

On the morning of the 11th, Dillard turned on the radio (he was searching for a station with Christian music and found one!) in our condo on Seven Mile Beach. He then heard that the first plane had hit. We immediately turned on the TV and saw the second plane crash. We, with the rest of the world, were stunned.

Our hearts were broken for our fellow Americans and for our beautiful homeland. Needless to say, we stayed in front of the TV for most of the day. To me it was surreal, maybe because we weren't actually on American soil. I could hardly believe it happened.

Since no air traffic was allowed into or out of the island, we remained extra days in paradise. Flying home to Texas, days later, is a story within itself. I won't go into it now other than to say that it was after midnight (dark) when we arrived at our home in Fort Worth. It was also a miracle that we made it home within 24 hours.

The next morning when I left the house to go grocery shopping, I couldn't believe the display of American flags on houses and cars! It was a beautiful sight but was also a very emotional time for me. I cried for the first time since the tragedy. Being home made it real.

This morning, while thinking of this date, I remember how this horrific tragedy turned our country to the Lord, for a time.

Do you remember all the special prayer meetings? Do you remember how people suddenly became more religious? Why did it take a tragedy to cause this awakening in a land that was once called "a Christian Nation" and where is America now, spiritually? It's something to ponder twelve years later.

Where are you today in your spiritual walk with the Lord? I'm asking myself the same question.

I'm studying Deuteronomy with a group at my church. It's a Precept study and those of you who have done Precept know how in-depth the Kay Arthur studies are. This weeks study was a reminder to the Israelites of their great God and of His expectations of them.

This reminder made me stop and search (with a magnifying glass and a fine tooth comb!) through my own life. Am I truly where I need to be in my spiritual life? Have the things of the world crowded into my life? Is known sin present in my life? Am I sold out completely to God? These are tough questions for me.

Here's the reminder I mentioned above  - "And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the Lord's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?" Deuteronomy 10: 12-13
Even though this was specifically directed to the Israelites, it applies to "believers" today. God rescued the Israelites from Egypt and brought them to a new land where their needs were met and satisfied.



God did the same for us when He brought us out of our bondage (sin) by the blood of Jesus. He brought us out and gave us forgiveness. He gave us a new life, a life of satisfaction because of Jesus. With a God who did this for us, shouldn't we live by the reminder above out of love, gratitude and obedience to Him?
As we think of and pray for those who lost loved ones on 9/11, let us ask God to give them strength, love and courage and that their hearts might be focused on Him. Pray that our lives, too, may be turned toward Him.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home