Storms
I was just listening to Casting Crown's song, "Praise You in the Storm," and it reminded me of a literal storm in my life. I'm thinking of The Great Flood of September 2010, as I call it. I'm still amazed at the peace God gave to us during the storm. Not only during, but afterwards, too. It was such a blessing to feel God's presence during that difficult time.
Not everyone has experienced a "literal" storm, but everyone has experienced at least one major upheaval in life. As my favorite pastor, Charles Carter, used to say, "It's not a matter of if but when."
Storms do come. They destroy. They try to steal everything within us, yes even our faith. Therefore, our foundation of faith must be built on the Rock of Jesus Christ, which in turn, enables us to stand firm on solid ground as we continue to trust him - knowing that he is in control. He can, and he will, help us through the storm. He promises to always be with us.
While writing this, an old poem, The Rainy Day, by Henry W. Longfellow, came to mind. I memorized it in high school. The poem states that some days are dark and dreary and that into every life some rain must fall. Longfellow goes on to say "Behind the clouds is the sun still shining". I don't think Longfellow meant for this poem to have spiritual significance. It just states that we all experience rainy days, and the sun is still shining above the clouds, which is true. Storms are a part of life.
As I think of our storms in a spiritual sense, I must say, yes, even Christians have rainy days...
Yes, some days may be dark and dreary...
Yes, it looks as if the sun will never shine...
But during that time, we must remember - above the clouds, the SON is still shining!
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
2 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV)
Love to each of you.
Not everyone has experienced a "literal" storm, but everyone has experienced at least one major upheaval in life. As my favorite pastor, Charles Carter, used to say, "It's not a matter of if but when."
Storms do come. They destroy. They try to steal everything within us, yes even our faith. Therefore, our foundation of faith must be built on the Rock of Jesus Christ, which in turn, enables us to stand firm on solid ground as we continue to trust him - knowing that he is in control. He can, and he will, help us through the storm. He promises to always be with us.
While writing this, an old poem, The Rainy Day, by Henry W. Longfellow, came to mind. I memorized it in high school. The poem states that some days are dark and dreary and that into every life some rain must fall. Longfellow goes on to say "Behind the clouds is the sun still shining". I don't think Longfellow meant for this poem to have spiritual significance. It just states that we all experience rainy days, and the sun is still shining above the clouds, which is true. Storms are a part of life.
As I think of our storms in a spiritual sense, I must say, yes, even Christians have rainy days...
Yes, some days may be dark and dreary...
Yes, it looks as if the sun will never shine...
But during that time, we must remember - above the clouds, the SON is still shining!
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
2 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV)
Love to each of you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home