Monday, July 26, 2010

A Dream Come True

As most of you know, I am taking riding lessons. Early this morning I went riding with my neighbor who is also my instructor. I am not a "morning person", EVER, but once I finally make myself get out of bed, I enjoy the early morning hours. Today, knowing that I was going riding, I had a great incentive to throw off the covers and climb out of bed. (I suppose I should say "jump" out of bed since ours is so high.)

I jerked off my nightgown and put on a shirt, jeans, belt and socks (yawning the whole time). I ate a small amount of breakfast (fixed by hubby), brushed teeth, and pulled on my boots that waited for me on the screened porch. I then headed across our backyard, waded through a small portion of creek, climbed a steep bank (I am thankful for a few skinny trees that give support), and walked into my neighbor's yard. My morning was off to a good start! It became extra special when the horses gave me a "good morning" neigh. I love that sound!

Before learning to ride, I thought that all a person had to do was hop into a saddle and take off, right? Wrong. Here are the steps taken before riding:

Go into the pen, find your horse, put a fabric halter on him while he is busy eating hay and does not want to be disturbed. Lead him to the fence and tie him there. This requires learning how to tie a special knot, one that is easy for a human to untie but difficult for a horse. Horses are smart animals and can untie easy knots and open gates - not a good thing if either happens.

Use a currycomb to get rid of dirt particles and other stuff matted in his coat. Next, brush out all the loosened debris (I know now why cowboys wear bandanas over their faces, and it isn't for robbing banks). This grooming process takes time, but the horse enjoys it and so do I. It is a time for bonding.

If needed, lift each hoof and clean out mud.

Spray the horse all over with insect repellent.

Go into the tack room, gather bridle, saddle with pad, and go back to the horse. (Smart, the horse I ride, likes to smell the pad before I place it on him.) He is such a cutie!

Place pad on the horse's back; lift the extremely heavy saddle up onto the pad. Make sure the pad and saddle are in proper position.

Reach under the horse, grab the cinch/girth, thread the strap through it (and the saddle) several times, and tighten. This wide strap holds the saddle in place.

Again, reach under the horse, grab the flank cinch, and buckle it.

Hold the bridle, put the bit into the horse's mouth and lift the bridle over his ears. Buckle strap.

Take off the fabric halter.

Whew! As you can see, this is a lot of work.

Sometimes I "work" Smart in a round pen before riding. This requires making him walk, canter, and gallop around the pen while I stand in the middle using a whip and voice commands. This works the feistiness out of him, but it wears me out since I have to gallop along side him! Actually, it's a great workout for both of us.

Now it is time to climb into the saddle and ride! Yipee! Yee-haw! Woo-who!

This morning as I rode, my eyes drank in the beauty of the magnificent Texas sky, an expanse of pastel blue mingled with white clouds, stretching as far as my eyes could see. The pastures were green because of recent rains, the creek flowed steadily in places, and the temperature was just right. A few July wildflowers revealed their faces among the tall grasses giving the landscape a variety of color. The beauty surrounding me filled my heart with joy!

We rode in pastures. We rode in wooded areas. We rode through Cedar Creek. In addition, we climbed two steep banks, one being a creek bank. Overall, it was a pleasant and enjoyable ride.

I feel blessed to be experiencing a childhood dream come true. I thank God for this marvelous opportunity to ride, and I also praise him for the splendor of his creations.

Love to each of you,

Jane

PS After riding, reverse the steps listed above. Give your horse a yummy carrot for his good work and give yourself a pat on the back for having fun during a major workout. You can have a carrot too, if you'd like. :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Glad you`re doing something you love!! Love ya-K

July 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger jared wilbanks said...

Hey mom! I'm so happy you're getting to experience this! While I've never had any interest in riding a horse (they're beautiful, but they kind of scare me :]) I can relate your experience with me learning to surf, since it is something I had wanted to learn to do for a long time before moving to CA. It's so great to fulfill a dream, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Love,

Jared

July 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Kristi, thanks!

Jared, thanks! Yes, it is great to fulfill a dream.I'm glad you got to fulfill your surfing one. That's a lot scarier to me than riding a horse. :)

July 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Nikki said...

I love reading about this! Had no idea it was so much work, but I'm so glad you are getting to do it!! It sounds like lots of fun. I actually think both horse riding and surfing are scary. I've tried both and been thrown offf of both. The horse throw hurt more, but I'm more inclined to try that again than surfing (at least not in this cold cold water). I'm proud of both of you for having a dream and achieving it!
-Nikki

July 27, 2010 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Nikki, thanks for your comments.

July 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Brittnie said...

So much fun! Reminds me of our days at the C Quarter Circle Ranch and learning all the same things. Jeff and I both LOVE riding horses.

So glad you are getting to do this. Excited for you!

Love you,
B

July 29, 2010 at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home