Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dusting Furniture


Okay, I know this sounds strange, but as I dusted furniture today these thought flooded my mind. Even though dusting can be a chore there is a satisfaction that comes from taking care of things that are meaningful to me.

A majority of our furniture has been around for years. For example, the cherry secretary in our foyer belonged to my husband’s family. It sat in his parents’ living room during his growing up years. After his mother’s death, it became ours. This piece holds sentimental meaning since it belonged to his precious parents. Its shelves today are loaded with pitchers collected by his mother.

Then there’s the mirror with the gold-leaf frame that came from my parents’ home after my mother passed away. It hung in the living room over a credenza in their Main Street house; the house I grew up in. Now it hangs in our foyer along side the secretary.

A portrait, purchased by my mother in the1950’s, hangs in our Victorian style guest room. Originally it hung in the living room of my childhood home. It’s a lovely picture of two women in early nineteenth century fashion.

The dark haired lady wears a long blue gown, embellished with a large bow on the side of her billowing skirt. She holds an abundant spray of pink roses that drape across her left arm. Her right arm extends forward with a rose in her hand, a gift to her friend who sits at a small table.

The women seem to be conversing. What are they discussing and what is the occasion of this meeting? Maybe the seated woman was ill and the dark haired lady is bringing flowers to cheer her. Maybe they are sisters who haven’t seen each other in a while; or best friends. Maybe she's there for a voice lesson. Only the artist knows who they are, but isn’t it fun to imagine?

The strawberry blonde’s hair is in ringlets. Her dress is pink, trimmed with a white lace collar and matching lace cuffs. Her gown flows onto the floor as she sits in a blue Victorian-style chair, possibly made of velvet, as is the matching foot stool. Her stylish cloak and her ribbon-encircled hat, both pink, are draped over a blue chair near the entrance to the room. Each woman is beautiful and elegant in her own way.

The opulent room, itself, is as noticeable as the women. One wall is adorned with a grand, gold-leafed mirror. Another wall displays family portraits; at least that’s what I imagine. A lengthy window is bordered by golden draperies and a lavish valance. The furniture is rich Mahogany. A portion of a winding staircase, illuminated by a hanging crystal light, is seen near the room’s entry.

Okay, so I’ve spent too much time describing the painting, but it’s a favorite thing from my childhood. It’s not an original painting, just a copy, but that doesn’t bother me in the least.

In my early years I enjoyed studying the beautiful ladies and their elegant clothing, as well as the room with its extravagant décor. Could this painting have caused my love for the Victorian era? Could this be why I enjoy elegant, long, flowing dresses? Could this be why soft shades of pink and blue are my favorites? Is this why I am drawn to the beauty of a rose? Is this why I wanted to grow up to be a lady?

Well, I’ve chased enough rabbits and it’s time to return to the subject of dusting furniture. When I dust furniture it’s sort of like caring for an old friend or relative; someone who has been around since childhood; someone who needs a loving touch; someone who brings joy into our home and causes memories to linger; or someone unable to care for themselves but still enjoys being polished up and worthy of recognition.

Maybe this will change your perspective of dusting furniture. Next time, you just might enjoy dusting that ancient china cabinet; that cherry dining room table; or that glass shelved curio cabinet. Perhaps in some instances your furniture is new, thus giving you the beginning of a new friendship with a work of art, crafted by a carpenter or painted by an artist.

Hey, did I just see your smile in that old table?

Jane
Oct 26, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home